March 22, 2012

Minty Grapefruit Coleslaw

We have mint!

It's March going on June here in Toronto (25 degrees today!). And in our back garden I found a wee bit of mint poking its sleepy head out of the ground. I pounced on those little sprigs to make this variation on a salad I have been loving these days. It's inspired by The Big Carrot's grapefruit coleslaw. They put cilantro in their version which is equally delicious. But something about the grapefruit & mint combo is oh so refreshing and perfect for a warm spring day.




Minty Grapefruit Coleslaw
1 small cabbage
2 green onions
A dozen (or more) cherry tomatoes
2 grapefruits
1 small bunch of mint
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper

Finely chop the cabbage. Slice up the green onions, tomatoes, 1 1/2 grapefruit, and mint. Squeeze the juice from one half of a grapefruit into a bowl. Add olive oil and salt and pepper to make a dressing to your taste (I like a fair bit of salt and pepper in this one). Toss together and voila!




2 comments:

  1. So now I know what I'll be having for lunch tomorrow. Is red cabbage OK? I have 3/4 of a massive one in the fridge that I've been trying to use up for what feels like years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val! I'm sure it would be ok and quite delicious, let me know how it turns out if you make it. I do have a specific red cabbage salad recipe though. It's a real classic in my family, my mom used to make it and it's one of my favourites, it is so tasty! It's so simple too, all you do is slice the red cabbage as thinly as possible (almost paper thin cuts ideally) and then make a dressing of: about 1 tbsp. tamari sauce (make sure it's not soy sauce, soy sauce will ruin it in my opinion), 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 2tbsp. olive oil, one clove of minced garlic. And slather on the dressing (double the recipe if you've got a lot of cabbage)... Something about that flavour combination is just magical with red cabbage, I've tried it with green and it just isn't as good. I've actually been meaning to blog about this recipe because I love it so much and I make it all the time.... but here you go, a sneak preview! ;-)

      Delete