June 19, 2013

Rhubarb Cardamom Shortbread Bars

I know rhubarb season is nearing its last days (sniff!)... but before it goes, here's one last hurrah: chewy rhubarb cardamom shortbread bars. In fact, I've already filled the freezer with rhubarb so I can make these all through the year. 


This recipe was shared with me via a friend from Salt Water Farm who blogged about it last spring. Thank you Irene!! This one's a keeper! 


This recipe is totally unique because the dough is frozen and then grated into the pan! Which accounts for the delightful chewy crumbly texture of these bars.



If you don't have any rhubarb, you can substitute your favourite jam in this recipe.



I do hope you'll try these, they are quite irresistible! You can find my version of this classic recipe here on PBS Food. Enjoy!



5 comments:

  1. Oh gosh do these have my name all over them. I've heard about the frozen dough grating technique, but never tried it, and that little pink layer of rhubarb in the center of these bars is irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, let me know how you like these! :-)

      Delete
  2. I made these last night for my friend's birthday, and they were a huge hit!! The cardamom was a really lovely element to the flavor!! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrilled to hear it Nicole! Glad you loved the cardamom as much as I do :-)

      Delete