August 21, 2013

Shredded Kale Caesar Salad

This recipe video was such a riot to make. I was initially going to use kale from our garden, which is very nice (though a little chewed up by some hungry deer), but then I caught a glimpse of my friend Kelly's monster kale patch, featuring the biggest lushest green leaves I've seen and I opted to use his kale instead. While we were filming the kale harvest, his dog Lucy bounded over begging for a bite and some very enthusiastic kale-eating madness ensued. This dog LOVES kale! I've never seen anything quite like it. Take a look for yourself.


The other reason this video was so much fun to make is that I was able to use a song from The Good Lovelies, a folk trio from Ontario that I've adored ever since I saw them perform live a few years ago. Thank you Good Lovelies!! 

(Look at how cool these ladies are! I love them.)



Now about kale. I'm curious, did any of you eat the stuff pre-2000's? I mean did people even eat kale in the 80's and 90's?? Because I sure didn't. And I grew up with a prolific gardening mom, eating everything from purple kohlrabi to obscure French lettuces. But no kale. And then suddenly, boom! Kale was as trendy as UGG boots and yoga pants. Kale is so big now it's even the center of a lawsuit, with a fast-food chain suing the guy who makes those popular t-shirts sporting the slogan "Eat More Kale" on the grounds it infringes on their slogan "Eat Mor (factory-farmed) Chickin". SERIOUSLY??!


Kale is even so popular that it's seeing some friendly backlash (hey, what about us other greens?!). But from what I've read, kale is most deserving of its superstar status. It's been shown in numerous studies to destroy cancer cells and it's packed with nutrients whose powers are truly unleashed when it's eaten raw. This kale Caesar salad is the perfect way to do that. It's a recipe I learned at one of Salt Water Farm's amazing cooking classes last summer. I was already making raw kale salads at the time, but this one became an instant favorite. I make it often and when I don't have time to make the full-out Caesar dressing, I make it with my sister's quick & easy eggless aioli instead. Either way, it's simply delicious and you should definitely try it!

Find my recipe on PBS Food. Let me know if you make it! 



15 comments:

  1. Marvelous work, Aube - love the addition of the pup and thank's for the intro to The Good Lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, I know you and Pam will love The Good Lovelies! :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm printing this one off for Patrick to make for us - looks so delicious! Love the video too <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Great video Aube. I love Lucy (heh). I actually had one lovely little kale plant growing on my balcony up until a couple of weeks ago, when guess who decided to help herself to it! Yep. Evidently Mya's also a kale lover. She plucked the entire thing out and gobbled it up. Alas, no more balcony kale for me...

    PS Just back from the east coast. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah!! Aw that is so sweet about Mya eating the kale, though unfortunate for your garden... say hi to the little chicken from me. I wish I'd been on the other side of the border for your visit, hopefully I'll catch you next time you're on this side... you should come to Maine next summer!! miss you xoxox

      Delete
  4. Hello Aube, the salad I made turned out great, in spite of me being so excited to be making it that I forgot to add the cheese just before serving. However I suppose that all that matters is that people gobbled it up and I only had a tiny portion left for next days lunch -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pia, I'm so glad you made this (and that you had a little bit left over for lunch the next day! :-) Hope to see you soon xoxo

      Delete
  5. Wonderful. I get excited everytime I see a post from you - and love that you use local Canadian music. Hey, have you lost interest in The Canadian Food Experience Project? Your voice is so important to the project and I truly miss your participation, Aube.
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We use cloth napkins, compost make most of our own cleaners and use glass containers for most food storage. Would love to try these wraps! Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I know how to make Caesar dressing salad .. :) Thanks for this recipe
    http://www.neworleansbarandgrill.com/food/house-or-caesar-salad

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make this Caesar salad at least once a week, and made it for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. All my friends make it now, too. It could not be more devine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so great to hear Monica! Thanks for letting me know :-) Happy new year!

      Delete
  10. I grew up eating cooked kale mashed with potatoes and served with german or dutch sausage; the more mustard on top the better. Dutch parents. Haven't eaten much kale since.

    ReplyDelete